Thursday, February 24, 2011

Further developments...

So, the recording gear went out for its second outing last night. To, of all things, the mighty Iron Maiden. I didn't have high expectations for how it would turn out. Here's why:
1) I was in located in the back section of the floor - splitting the floor up into front and back is still in my opinion one of the stupidest and most pointless excuses for "crowd control" I have ever seen.
2) I still have these old microphones of which only one works most of the time.
3) And, it was an Iron Maiden concert. I was drunk, I was having a good time jumping around, singing, acting like a general idiot, and so were the majority of the people around me.

The result? A pretty terrible sounding recording. It sounds like the band are playing miles away, which given the view that we had most of the night, they might as well have been. Stadium gigs suck in general, but when you're in the back GA, they're even worse. Also, lo and behold, for the majority of the gig only one channel did work, surprise surprise. And even when things do seem to be going good, you can hear the sounds of people talking and singing badly. I should also point out that the mix on the night sounded pretty average, way below par for an Iron Maiden gig. In short, this probably isn't worth uploading. I might send it to Chris to see what he can do to get it cleaned up, as I know he's got a bit more experience with fiddling around with audio editors and such. But I think he can only do so much. It's a shame that it didn't work out, because, well, it's Maiden. I really should post a review of this, but I don't think I can honestly do it justice. Besides, every man and his dog has already a say on the interwebs, so it's kind of a moot point. Maybe I'll include them in my Soundwave review, well, I'll obviously be writing a Soundwave review, so if I see Maiden, they'll obviously get a mention. But, as we all know I love my setlists, so here's what they played (and from all accounts, will be playing until further notice):

Satellite 15 ... The Final Frontier (S-15 played over tape, band came on during TFF)
El Dorado
2 Minutes to Midnight

The Talisman
Coming Home
Dance of Death
The Trooper
The Wicker Man
Blood Brothers
When the Wild Wind Blows
The Evil That Men Do
Fear of the Dark
Iron Maiden
----
Encore----
The Number of the Beast
Hallowed be Thy Name
Running Free

Up the Irons. What a fantastical show.

No comments:

Post a Comment