Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Happy new year...

Well then, we've come to the end of another year! Hard to believe really, and it's almost been a year since I started this blog, so yeah. Anyway, the last post I made was a day off a month ago, and in that time, as one might imagine, I've been to numerous gigs since! I did intend to at least post reviews of Meredith and Muse, but time got away from me and by the time I was ready to sit down and recount them, I realised it would be a little redundant and besides, some of the memories weren't so clear anymore! So I'll just quickly run through my final month of gigs right now!

So yes, on the weekend of the 10-12th December, me and some friends attended the absolutely wonderful 20th edition of the Meredith Music Festival - for the four of us that went, it was our first time, and I think I can speak for the other three when I say we'll all be returning this year! A great and very diverse lineup, a wonderful location and very friendly crowd all ticked the boxes in requirements of a good festival, something I think the mainstream festivals are really failing to deliver these days. Yes, I'm looking at you Big Day Out.

Anyway, after that wonderful weekend wrapped up, I had just two days to recover before Tuesday night, when a little British trio (plus backing assistance from a fourth) by the name of Muse dazzled a sold-out crowd at Rod Laver Arena with their bombastic brand of cosmic progressive rock. With a grandiose light-and-visual extravaganza centred on the three giant skyscrapers stretching from stage floor to roof, with each occupied by a band member, Muse tore their way through an epic two-hour setlist spanning their brilliant five album career. YES, they even played something from Showbiz, the piano-led Sunburn a real treat for all the loyal old-school fans in the crowd. Ahh, what a show. I think it's safe to say you might see a mention of it in a blog coming soon...

The last week of 2010 wrapped up in a big way; on Monday night it was a good ol free music night at the Espy, starring post-hardcore oddballs In Tongues, rock n roll youngsters and Unearthed High winners Stonefield and lovable Beatles/general 60s awesomeness-esque trio The Basics, who of course have a rather famous drummer (Wally DeBacker aka Gotye for those of you playing at home). Thursday night it was back to the Espy for a truly interesting blend of styles - stoner sludge from Swidgen (featuring Sammy Crawford from Clagg), fun-time garage-y rock from Freaks of the Deep, funky rock-rap from Adelaideians Poetikool Justice, and finally, some no nonsense punk and hip-hop from Over-reactor. THEN THERE WAS FRIDAY. What better way to bring in the New Year than by heading to Etihad Stadium with a sizeable bunch of mates to witness Armin Only - the latest live extravaganza from the world's reigning number 1 DJ (voted in yet again in 2010, his 4th year in a row at the top) Mr Armin van Buuren, celebrating his latest trance opus Mirage. As is the tradition with these shows, he played a massive NINE HOUR marathon set, complete with spectacular visuals and lighting and of course a sizeable entourage of live guests, including Rank 1, his guitarist brother Eller, and numerous vocal contributors, among them Christian Burns and Nadia Ali. From 9pm til 6am, the world's greatest had the happy punters bouncing on their feet, bringing in the New Year in great style. What a show.

So yeah, that was how the year ended. And I have to say, one of my resolutions this year will be to keep this thing a little bit more updated on a regular basis. I'd like to say at this point that at the very least, every major international artist gig that I go to will get a review, and I'd really like to bring back the band of the month blog - back in the day, I used to pick a band at random every month that I'd been particularly enjoying, and just give a brief run-down of their history and releases up until that point. It was fun. Now then, my next blog/s, which I aim to have up by the end of the week, will be my top 10 gigs and albums of 2010. I've already got a pretty good idea of what's going to be in it, so now I just have to write up a few nice words about each and we'll be away! Happy new year everyone, may 2011 bring us just as much musical awesomeness as the previous year!

No comments:

Post a Comment